Sunday, April 29, 2007

No, we haven't been eating take-out

I just haven't had time to take pictures of what I've cooked recently!

Two weekends ago, I made pancit sotanghon for the first time ever. (Recipe here.) It was a big hit with Benjie! (Since I still haven't found annatto seeds, it was much paler compared to the photo.)

The past few days, we've been living off roast chicken--I roasted parts from two chickens with pesto. Also, last week, I made Black Beans & Pork Bits, a recipe in How to Cook Everything.

Teo eats the meats from the Bean recipe (it has bacon, pork and chicken sausage), but he refuses to eat the beans. Which is weird given that he likes the burritos from California Tortilla and other Mexican fast food joints.

(This was a quick-cook recipe using canned black beans--you put 4 cans into a pot with their juice, add a T of cumin, salt & pepper and the peel from one orange, and set the pot on a low simmer. Then you start cooking the meats-- bacon, then the sausages, then the pork loin--and add them to the beans. Then you saute chopped onions and bell peppers in the oil, and add that to the beans, then pour a cup of red wine into the skillet where you cooked the meats & veggies and reduce it by half. Add the reduction and half a cup of orange juice to the beans. Serve, when heated through, with orange segments and cilantro.

(It would've taken me less than the described 30 mins. to make this but I cut myself badly slicing the onions.)

No comments: