Tuesday, May 8, 2007

"Red" pork belly

This recipe is from Saveur magazine.

I prepared this today in honor of Teo's Ninang Malou and her sister Maribel.

Malou is visiting from Manila and was killing time at our place until Maribel could pick her up.

I opted to prepare this dish, since I really like it, but the belly (in my case I used pork backs) is just soo good--but so bad, too. At least, with company, we could spread the cholesterol around.

(Instead of using all back, I added cubes of meat from a roast cut.)

You boil 2 lbs' worth of cubes of pork in water (to remove the porky smell?) for 2 minutes. As you drain it, saute scallions and ginger in peanut oil, then add the pork. Saute for two minutes, then add .25 cup of Chinese rice wine vinegar. When the pork has browned a bit, add 5 T of mushroom soy sauce and 2 cups of water. Let it boil, then simmer (covered) for an hour. When the meat is tender, add 3 T of sugar and simmer for 15 more minutes, until the sauce has thickened.

Try to serve with a healthful veggie side!!

2 comments:

luytioco said...

Sounds like a verison of adobo Vix! My mom made a variation once using porkloin and balsalmic vinegar. Of course it made it more "western" and we ate it with a nice creamy, mushroom gravy...

Malou said...

I have to say that we loved the dish. Perfect with the verts(?) you served with it :) It's a pity we didn't take pictures.