Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Lentils with Kielbasa & Asperation



Sausages and legumes are my go-to, can't-figure-out-what-else-to-prepare-for-dinner-meal.

I pretty much Rachel-Rayed this one (no measuring!). And since I had leftover bacon in the fridge (from pasta night) I decided to fry that a little, then saute the onions in them, then added the kielbasa. I let them fry together about 3 mins before putting the lentils in. (I used cheap green lentils, although I was tempted to go with small, French dePuy or black lentils. If I'd shopped at TJ's instead of Whole Foods, I think I might have scored the latter two for a lower price.)

I added the stock to cover, let boil then simmered for about 30 minutes. I added some salt(kosher!--which I only recently tried and like very much!) and pepper.

(Anyone out there who's a firm advocate of boxed broth vs. boullioun broth?--I use the boxed type, but am I losing so much more money that way?? )

When the lentils were still a bit nutty to the bite, but already well on the road to tender, I added the chopped up asperation (AKA broccolini, a hybrid of broccoli and asparagus, I think.) covered completely to steam for 5 minutes, and served on rice.

(I like throwing a veggie of some sort into my one-pot meals. Teo generally has no problems with green, leafy types.)

Benjie likes his lentils soupy, so I served his and Teo's with lots of broth. The photo shows mine--I like my lentils dry, with a splash of balsamic vinegar.

Teo has had issues with sausages before--I think I once served him rather spicy ones, but he enjoyed this meal. As did his father!

No comments: