Sunday, June 3, 2007

Otsu


Adam made this during the hot memorial day weekend, and I planned it for today since it's been pretty hot in DC too. Unfortunately the timing was off--it was actually quite cool today!

But this dish is so tasty and lovely that it worked, although I can see how perfect it is for a hot day. It requires a minimum of heat, a bonus in my airless kitchen.

Adam got Heidi Swanson's permission to publish the recipe--as opposed to just summarizing--so you definitely should try it out!

The next time I make it, I'll cut the cayenne down to .5 tsp so that it isn't too hot for Teo.

Also, there's something to be said for using a genuine non-stick pan. I had a heck of a time browning the tofu, and the brown parts mostly stuck to the pan! (I know my pan was non-stick when I bought it 5 years ago. I think I've been washing it wrong and that's what damaged the surface.)

(Benjie loved this...rare for a dish with no animal protein in it! And then he asked me what I was cooking next...nueve?)

No comments: