Saturday, July 28, 2007

Hainanese Chicken & Rice

I haven't cooked anything new in ages--been subsisting on standbys (3-hour bolognese, beef & peanut noodles, etc.). This week I had a hankering for Hainanese chicken--though to be honest I think what I most wanted was the gingery concoction typically served with it!

I found a whole bunch of recipes for this dish online and some of them were wildly different. I settled on this one since I had most of the ingredients.

The trickiest part was making the rice--I didn't rinse it in a strainer. Then I only sauted it for 2 minutes before adding the broth! It came out a bit too sticky but still tasty.

I made two sauces--one with just garlic & ginger (used bottled, mashed ginger to make life easier) and some stock, and the other was the chili-ginger-garlic combination from the recipe. (I only used one teaspoon of chili sauce and even that was a bit too hot!)

The cucumbers were also not cooperating. I originally bought what I thought were cucumbers in WF, only to find when I cut them up that they were zucchini! I made a trip to TJ's from the pool to get another cucumber.

I completely forgot to take pictures. I was too hungry to remember the camera after spending the latter half of the afternoon wading after Teo, who insists on wading in full sunlight!

1 comment:

TheresNoTylerDurden said...

Vickie.. I like this recipe very much. I've tried it a few times but have not gotten it right. Should revisit. Hope you guys are all good... everything nice and quiet here in boston...